Sponsored Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870)
With the introduction of the Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens are able to sponsor their parents for a temporary visa for up to five years. This visa will allow parents to visit their children and grandchildren in Australia, while ensuring the Australian public do not cover the additional costs of the parents such as health care. Parents will be able to apply for this visa twice in their life for a maximum of 10 years combined. The Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa has no pathway to permanent residency. Parents who wish to apply for Australian permanent residency need to go through alternative pathways.
The application will be a two-step process, namely:
- Sponsorship application; and
- Visa application.
What are the requirements for the 870 visa?
To qualify as a sponsor for this visa:
- You must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen who has resided in Australia for four years;
- You must be over 18 years old;
- Parents must be your or your spouse’s biological, adoptive or step-parents;
- You must meet have an household income of at least AUD83,454.80 in the last financial year. You can combine your income with an eligible partner or sibling, with at least 50% of the taxable income being attributed to you.
- You must have a clean immigration track record that shows compliance with previous sponsorships; and
- You should not have any adverse information, including no criminal records, no commonwealth or public health debts.
To qualify as a visa applicant for this visa:
- You must be over 18 years old and have been sponsored by an approved parent sponsor;
- You must have never committed visa fraud;
- You must provide evidence of access to funds and access to Australian health insurance for the duration of their proposed stay in Australia;
- You must mot have outstanding public health debt; and
- You must satisfy health and character requirements.
What are the benefits of the 870 visa?
- You are allowed to live in Australia for 3 to 5 years at a time.
- You can leave and enter Australia for the duration of the visa.
What are the costs associated with applying for the 870 visa?
Our service packages are designed to give clients choice in terms of fees and the level of service. Our fees are fixed. However, they do not cover the visa application fees and other costs involved in submitting a visa application. We have outlined the fees that are most likely to be incurred in Australian Dollars. Fees quoted below are for the 870 visa. Fees can increase without notice, so the fees can vary at the time of application.
- Our fees start from – $1,999 (Visa Premium Service) + GST (as applicable)
- Department of Home Affairs (DHA) Visa Application fees – $1,000 (for each applicant payable at the time of applicant), $4,000 (for the 3 year visa for each applicant payable before visa grant) or $9,000 (for the 5 year visa for each applicant payable before visa grant)
- Medical Examination fees – as applicable
- Police Clearance Certificate – as applicable
- Translations/Certifications – as applicable
- Credit card processing fees for DHA – as applicable
You should allow at least AU$6,000 – AU$11,000 for each applicant excluding our fees.
How long does the 870 visa process take?
There are a range of different factor that determine how long it takes for the 870 visa to be granted. For current visa processing times please refer to the information on the Department of Home Affairs website at: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times#
How we can help you apply for the 189 visa?
Better Life Migration can assist you with the whole process from start to finish. This would include assessing if the sponsor and the visa applicant meet the eligibility requirements, preparing the sponsorship and visa applications, liaising with DHA and other authorities till the visa is granted.