Regional Sponsored Scheme Visa
The Subclass 187 is a permanent visa for applicants in certain occupations that are nominated by their employers in regional areas.
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) enables employers in regional and low population growth areas of Australia to sponsor highly skilled workers either from overseas, or from people temporarily in Australia to fill skilled vacancies in their business.
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) enables employers in regional and low population growth areas of Australia to sponsor highly skilled workers either from overseas, or from people temporarily in Australia to fill skilled vacancies in their business. Employers must be lawfully operating in Australia, and the position must provide full time employment in Australia for two years. Conditions of employment and wages must comply with Australian legislation and awards.
What are the requirements for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa 187 visa ?
The 187 visa (RSMS Visa) process consists of 3 stages:
1.Certification of the nomination or vacancy by a certifying body
The employer must be able to demonstrate to a certifying body that:
- The position is a genuine full-time vacancy
- It is available for at least 2 consecutive years
- It requires qualifications equivalent to at least Australian diploma level (this includes trade certificates)
- The position cannot be filled from the local labour market
- Employment and remuneration is in accordance with Australian industrial laws and
- There is, or will be, an employment contract or letter of appointment covering the position.
2.Employer Nomination Assessment
The completed and certified nomination needs to be forwarded to the relevant Department Business Centre who needs to be satisfied:
- The nomination has been certified by a regional certifying body and
- All the above requirements were met.
3.Visa Nominee Requirements
To apply for a permanent visa under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, the applicant must:
- have the relevant qualifications equivalent to at least an Australian diploma
- have any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements
- the nominee must be less than 45 years of age (unless age exemptions or transitional arrangements apply)
- the nominee must have functional English language ability and
- the nominee and all family unit members must meet mandatory health and character requirements.
- A business with a turnover less than $10 million will pay $3,000 per nomination. A large business with a turnover more than $10 million will pay $5,000 per nominee into the Skilling Australians Fund (SAF).
There are two streams under which you can meet the skill requirement for the 187 visa (RSMS visa):
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
- If you had applied of held a 457 visa before 18 April 2017 – You can apply for this visa if you have worked full-time in the occupation for which you have been nominated in Australia for the last two years, including at least the last one year working for the employer who is nominating you
- If your 457/482 visa was granted after 18 April 2017, you must have an occupation on the MLTSSL (Medium Term Strategic Skills List) you can then apply for the 187 visa once you have worked for your sponsor for three years while holding the visa and meeting other requirements.
Direct Entry Stream
- Applicants in the DE stream must have an occupation on the MLTSSL (Medium Term Strategic Skills List) or the ROL (Regional Occupation List) and must demonstrate that they have the skills required for the nominated occupation. The level of skill to be demonstrated varies in accordance with the occupation, however in all cases at least two years of employment at the skilled level is required.
What are the benefits of the 187 visa (RSMS Visa)?
The 187 visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- access certain social security payments
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor relatives for permanent residence.
What are the costs associated with applying for the 187 visa (RSMS visa)?
Our fixed fee, service packages are designed to give clients choice in terms of fees and the level of service. However, they do not cover the visa application fees and other costs involved in submitting a visa application. Fees can increase without notice, so the actual fees can vary at the time of application. We have outlined the applicable fees that are likely to be incurred for the 187 visa (RSMS visa) in Australian Dollars.
Better Life Migration fees for the 187 visa (RSMS Visa) (Visa Premium Service) – $3,599 + GST (if applicable)
Department of Home Affairs 187 visa (RSMS visa) application fees are:
- 187 visa (RSMS visa) Regional Certifying Body fee –$0 – $660 (depending on the state/territory a fee may be payable directly to the Regional Certifying Body)
- 187 visa (RSMS visa) Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy – $3,000 per nomination (for small businesses) or $5,000 per year (for large businesses)
- 187 visa (RSMS visa) (Short-Term Stream) visa application fee – Primary applicant – $3,775, Adult dependent – $1,875, Child Dependent – $940
- Credit card surcharge (if applicable)
Other fees that may be applicable:
- Skills Assessment Application fees between $300 to $1,200 for most occupations (a skills assessment may be required for some applicants applying for the RSMS under the Direct Entry Stream)
- IELTS or PTE Academic – IELTS $340 + $34 (GST if applicable), PTE $340 (as applicable)
- Medical Examination fees (as applicable)
- Police Clearance Certificate (as applicable)
- Translations/Certifications (as applicable)
How long does the 187 visa (RSMS visa) process take?
Once the 187 visa (RSMS visa) application is lodged it takes between 11-16 months for the Department of Home Affairs to process the application. For current visa processing times please refer to the information on the Department of Home Affairs website for https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times#
What are the benefits of the 187 visa (RSMS visa)?
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work in Australia for the duration of the visa
- apply for permanent residence if you meet the criteria
How we can help you apply for the 187 visa (RSMS visa) ?
We have successfully helped small, medium and very large organisations (including Fortune 500, ASX listed companies) with the 187 visa (RSMS visa) application process. We can help you with the entire process till the 187 visa application is granted. Click on the ‘Purchase Service’ link to purchase our services.
How we can help you?
We offer a range of services to help you with your application.